Power Punch Kale Caesar Salad
The following article was written by Amy Balcome.
Did you know that the Caesar salad has been the most popular restaurant salad in the country since its creation in the early 1920s? Although there are many variations, I believe that nothing beats this delicious vegan recipe and its crunchy goodness. The creamy dressing—which is infused with garlic, an antioxidant-rich superfood—will boost your immune system and fight off any runny noses this season.
This nutrient-packed salad works well as a side dish, or grab a big ol’ bowl and dig in for your main course! Your taste buds won’t be disappointed.
10 medium potatoes, cubed
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup Vegenaise
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. whole-grain stone ground mustard
2 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
Pepper, to taste
20 large kale leaves
2 cups homemade or store-bought croutons
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Boil the potatoes until tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Mix the olive oil, Vegenaise, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and pepper together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the kale leaves and cooked potatoes in a large bowl and add the dressing in small amounts until the desired ratio is reached. Toss.*
- Add the croutons and toss again.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.
Servings: Makes 8 to 12 servings
*There may be some dressing left over. It can be stored it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.