Caramel-Apple French Toast
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance or vegan margarine
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup soy milk
6 Tbsp. unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
• Cook the Florida Crystals in a large, dry skillet over medium-low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until melted and beginning to caramelize.
• Continue to stir and add the Earth Balance. Once the sugar and margarine are combined, fold in the apple. Stir until smooth.
• When the caramel sauce starts to form around the apples, pour in the maple syrup. Stir occasionally and let simmer for 10 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove from the direct heat and keep warm.
• Whisk together the soy milk, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla.
• Dip the bread in the batter, turning to coat both sides.
• Cook in a nonstick skillet until golden brown and top with the caramel apples.