There are hundreds of ways to incorporate coconut oil into your daily cruelty-free routine. Love the smell of coconut? Try unrefined oil for a light fragrance, or use refined oil when you prefer no scent. Here are our top 30 ways to use coconut oil:
1. Toothpaste (for animals and humans): Combine equal parts baking soda and coconut oil. Add stevia to sweeten and/or an essential oil for flavor.
2. Hair conditioner: You can leave the oil on your hair as an overnight conditioner or make a defrizzing conditioning spray, as seen here:
3. Skin moisturizer: Whip coconut oil, a couple of drops of vitamin E oil, and an essential oil together for a quick DIY skin lotion.
4. Face/body scrub:
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup organic sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Couple of drops essential oil (if you want it to be scented)
21. Yeast infection treatment (foranimals and humans): Coconut oil contains caprylic acid, which is excellent for combating yeast infections both internally and on the skin and in the ears. You can mix the oil with food or apply it topically. For dogs, the dose is 1 tsp. per 10 lbs.bodyweight per day.
22. Butter for baking: Use coconut oil as a substitute for butter or margarine.
23: Butter for popcorn: Same idea as number 22! You can pop the corn using coconut oil, and also use it as a topping—it melts wonderfully. Then add salt for savory popcorn or cinnamon and sugar for a sweet snack.
24: Sunburn soother: Use instead of aloe to relieve sunburned skin.
25. Salad dressing: Try making your next salad dressing with coconut oil instead of olive oil.
26. DIY shampoo (for animals and humans):
1 cup pure liquid castile soap
1 cup water
1.5 Tbsp. coconut oil
5 drops your favorite essential oil (Try peppermint oil.)
Combine ingredients and apply to hair, as usual.
27. Moisturizing face mask: Once a week, cover your face with oil before bedtime (and sleep with a towel on your pillow!).
Almost all of us grew up eating meat, wearing leather, and going to circuses and zoos. We never considered the impact of these actions on the animals involved. For whatever reason, you are now asking the question: Why should animals have rights? Read more.