Copycat Recipe: Homemade Vegan ‘SpaghettiOs’-Style Pasta
As a kid, I always loved SpaghettiOs! And this homemade vegan copycat recipe takes me right back to my childhood. This grown-up version is cruelty-free and full of flavor, and it doesn’t taste like the inside of a metal can. It’s also kid-friendly, which is great since it reheats nicely and can be easily stored for future meals. That is, if there are any leftovers. Enjoy!
Homemade Vegan ‘SpaghettiOs’-Style Pasta
8 oz. ditalina pasta (or other small pasta of your choice)
1 Tbsp. high-heat cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. vegan margarine
1/4 cup nondairy milk (almond and soy both work well in this recipe)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast or shredded vegan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. When done cooking, strain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, sugar, and vegan margarine. Continue stirring until well combined and the vegan margarine is melted.
- Slowly stir in the nondairy milk and nutritional yeast. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir until well incorporated. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings