Carrot Hot Dog Recipe
It sounds crazy, I know, but these carrot hot dogs taste a lot like the real thing! With all the gross things in real hot dogs, such as bones, bugs, and pig anuses, these carrot dogs are a healthy and cruelty-free option. With simple ingredients and an easy-to-follow recipe, you’ll be chomping away on the best vegan hot dogs ever in no time. The idea might sound wacky, but you’ve got to try them—trust us on this one!
Carrot Hot Dogs
Adapted from FatFreeVegan.com
4 whole carrots, cut into bun-length pieces with ends removed
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder (or 1/2 clove garlic, minced)
Dash liquid smoke
Pepper, to taste
4 vegan hot dog buns
Desired hot dog toppings (BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.)
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook the carrots until you can barely pierce through them with a fork. Be careful not to cut the carrots when testing!
- Combine all the other ingredients together in a plastic container or baggie to make the marinade. Place the cooked carrots inside, shake up, and set aside to marinate for at least 3 hours. You can marinate for up to a few days—we marinated ours for about 4 hours, and they turned out very flavorful.
- When you’re ready to serve, pour the carrots and marinade into a large pan on the stovetop or grill on medium heat, rotating periodically, for 5 to 10 minutes, until carrots are heated all the way through.
- Place on a hot dog bun, add the toppings of your choice, and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings