Is this about an animal in danger? Please report cruelty to animals here.
So you spend a good chunk of your time and energy speaking up for animals who desperately need your voice. Real talk: We think you’re a HERO for that, but we know that sometimes it can be tough if you don’t have a great support system or if you’re in an abusive or stressful situation.
We care about you—and the work you do to help animals. If you’re having self-harming or suicidal thoughts, we want you to get help. Please know that you’re not alone and that you will get through this. Whether it’s for yourself or a friend, please check out the following resources for help.
If there’s an immediate threat to your safety and you’re in danger, call 911 (U.S.) or the emergency number for your country.
General Crisis Support
- Animal Activist Support Line: The Animal Activist Support Line provides 24/7 text, e-mail, and chat support to help the people who help animals (that’s you!). If you’re feeling burned out or isolated from unsupportive family or friends—or if you just need to talk to another animal rights person who “gets it”—this resource can help.
- Crisis Text Line: Text SUPPORT to 741-741 (24/7). Trained counselors can discuss anything that’s on your mind. Free, 24/7, confidential.
- Born This Way Foundation: Committed to empowering youth and inspiring bravery, this foundation has resources for dealing with body image issues, bullying, LGBT questioning, and way more.
- ReachOut: This site is a great place where teens and young adults can find information on mental wellness and other issues, reach out, tell their stories, and voice their opinions “without fear of being judged or being different.” Visit online or call 1-800-448-3000 for help.
Depression and Suicide
- The Trevor Project: Call 1-866-488-7386 anytime, day or night. The Trevor Project also provides lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning teens with crisis intervention services.
- Befrienders Worldwide: Use this site to find a suicide helpline in your country.
Dating Abuse and Domestic Violence
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline: Call 1-800-799-7233 or text TELLNOW to 85944—anytime, day or night.
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network: Call the network at 1-800-656-4673 or join a live chat, both 24/7.
Domestic and Family Abuse
- Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: Call 1-800-422-4453 (24/7).
- National Safe Place: Text SAFE and your current location to the number 69866 (24/7) to get help.
Runaway, Homeless, and At-Risk Youth
- National Runaway Safeline: Call 1-800-786-2929 anytime or join a live chat any day between 3:30 and 10:30 p.m. Eastern time.
- Home Free/National Runaway Safeline: This family reunification program provides eligible runaway and homeless youth with free bus tickets.
How to Organize Your Own Protest
Are you a student who wants to make a direct change for animals? Take it to the streets by holding a protest! We will help you every step of the way.