- All dogs and cats over the age of 6 months are required to be spayed or neutered, with certain exceptions.
SEC. 7-4.10. RESTRICTIONS ON UNSTERILIZED DOGS AND CATS.
(a) An owner of a dog or cat commits an offense if the animal is not spayed or neutered.
(b) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that:
(1) the animal is under six months of age;
(2) a licensed veterinarian certifies that the dog or cat should not be spayed or neutered for health reasons or is permanently non-fertile;
(3) the animal is being held for sale by a retail pet store or for adoption by animal services or an animal welfare organization;
(4) the animal is a competition cat or competition dog;
(5) the animal is a service animal; or
(6) the owner holds a valid intact animal permit issued under Section 7-4.11 of this chapter for the animal. (Ord. 27250, sec. 7-4.10 eff. 10-25-08)