July 15, 2013
Dogs may not be tethered unattended for longer than six consecutive hours or during extreme weather. Dogs who are sick or injured may not be tethered. Puppies under 6 months of age may not be tethered.
Sec. 14-36. Tethering of Dogs
It shall be unlawful for a dog to be tethered outdoors, except when all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The dog is not tethered outside for a period of longer than six (6) consecutive hours without the owner or individual who tethered the dog, or who is otherwise responsible for the care and maintenance of the dog, having direct physical contact with the dog.
(b) The tethering device complies with the following requirements:
(1) The tethering device is not placed directly around the dog’s neck;
(2) The tethering device is connected to the dog using a buckle-type collar or a body harness made of nylon or leather at least one inch in width;
(3) The length is at least (a) five times the length of the dog’s body, as measured from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail or (b) ten (10) feet long, whichever is greater;
(4) Both ends of the tethering device terminate with a swivel;
(5) The tethering device does not weigh more than 1/8 of the dog’s weight; and
(6) The tethering device is not prone to becoming tangled.
(c) The dog is tethered in such a manner as to prevent injury, strangulation, or entanglement with the dog or other objects.
(d) The dog is not outside during periods of extreme weather, including but not limited to the following:
(1) those times when the National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for the Town of Smyrna;
(2) those times when the temperature is at or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius;
(5) tropical storms; and
(e) The tethering device shall allow the dog adequate access to food and water containers, shelter, and dry ground.
(f) The dog is not sick or injured or a puppy less than six (6) months of age.
(g) Any pulley, running line, or trolley systems used to tether the dog is at least 15 feet in length and is less than 7 feet above the ground.
(h) If there are multiple dogs, the dogs are tethered such that they cannot come into contact with each other.