Tethering is allowed only for the time it takes the owner to complete a temporary task. It is also prohibited during extreme weather.
§ 633.23 Tethering of dogs; prohibition of keeping dogs outdoors in extreme weather.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to tether, fasten, chain, tie, restrain or cause an unattended dog to be fastened, chained, tied or restrained to houses, trees, fences, garages, stakes or other stationary or highly immobile objects by means of a rope, chain, strap or other physical restraint for the purpose of confinement, except in circumstances where all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(1) The tethering is not for a longer period of time than reasonably necessary for the dog, owner or custodian to complete a temporary task that requires the dog to be physically restrained; and
(2) The tether is attached to the dog by a nonchoke-type collar and attached to the stationary object by swivel anchors, latches, or similar devices in a manner which prevents the tether from becoming entangled around any object so as to limit the dog’s freedom within the tethered area or to prevent the dog, or any of its appendages, from becoming entangled by the tether; and
(3) The tether must be of a type commonly used for the size of the dog involved and if the tether is a chain, it may not be thicker than one-eighth (⅛) of an inch; and
(4) The tether shall be at least three (3) times the length of the dog as measured from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail, but no less than ten (10) feet in length and shall allow the dog convenient access to the dog house; and
(5) The dog has easy access to:
a. Potable drinking water;
b. Edible food; and
c. Adequate shade and/or shelter within the tethered area.
(6) The dog is periodically monitored while tethered for the aforementioned reasonable period of time; and
(7) The dog is not tethered outdoors during any period in which a severe weather warning has been issued for Allegheny County by the National Weather Service; and
(8) The dog is not tethered outdoors for a continuous period of time greater than one-half (½) hour if the temperature during such period remains entirely either:
a. Below thirty-two (32) degrees Fahrenheit; or
b. Above ninety (90) degrees Fahrenheit.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to leave any dog—tethered or untethered—outside and unattended during any period in which a severe weather warning has been issued for Allegheny County by the National Weather Service for a continuous period of time greater than one-half (½) hour, or, if the temperature during such period reaches:
(1) Below thirty-two (32) degrees Fahrenheit; or
(2) Above ninety (90) degrees Fahrenheit.
OUTSIDE, for purposes of this section, shall mean any unattended dog that is outside subject to the weather and elements, which expressly includes, but not limited to, a dog in a securely fenced-in yard, a dog in a kennel, or a dog tethered or tied out. The dog shall be considered “outside” regardless of access to an outdoor doghouse or similar structure.