October 26, 2015
This ordinance bans unattended direct-point chaining. It allows the use of trolley systems.
CHAPTER 2: ANIMAL CONTROL
ARTICLE 2.1900 RESTRAINT AND CONFINEMENT
- Tying, staking or tethering an animal. Animals may not be tethered to a stationary object as a means of confinement.
- Any animal permitted to be kept within the City of Corsicana shall not be chained, tied, fastened, or otherwise tethered to any stationary or inanimate object as a means of confinement and restraint to property. First time violators of this provision may be given up to a three (3) day grace period without penalty to correct a violation of this provision. Violators holding a valid fence permit shall be given up to thirty (30) days to complete construction of a fence. Exception from penalty shall not be given in any case where the violation of the provision causes or contributes to the bodily injury of a person or animal. An animal tethered, not having food, not having water, or no [sic] having shelter shall be considered separate offenses under this provision and each violation shall carry a separate penalty.
Any exceptions due to emergency acts of God must be approved in writing by the Animal Control Officer.
- A person commits an offense if he uses a chain, rope, tether, leash, cable, or other device to attach an animal to a stationary object or trolley system. This section does not prohibit a person from walking an animal on a handheld leash
- It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:
- The animal is being tethered during a lawful animal event, veterinary treatment, grooming, training, or law enforcement activity; or
- The animal tethering is required to protect the safety or welfare of a person or the animal and the animal’s owner maintains direct supervision of the animal.