The White Pig’s Chocolate-Chocolate Cake
For the Frosting:
2 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
2 12-oz. pkgs. extra-firm silken tofu
3/4 cup unrefined sugar (try Sucanat or Florida Crystals)
1 tsp. vanilla
• Melt the chocolate chips in a double broiler.
• In a food processor, blend the melted chocolate chips, the tofu, the sugar, and the vanilla until smooth. Pour into a covered container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using.
For the Cake Layers:
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup unrefined sugar (try Sucanat or Florida Crystals)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• In medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the chocolate chips.
• In another bowl, beat the soy milk, water, vinegar, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until combined.
• Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing well. Divide evenly into 2 well-oiled cake pans.
• Place onto the center rack of the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when touched or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
• Remove from the oven and allow to cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and finish cooling.*
• Place one cake layer onto a serving plate and spread some of the frosting on top. Place the second layer on top and finish frosting the entire cake.
*Note: A trick of the trade is to wrap cakes in plastic wrap and freeze overnight—then frost while still frozen!
Makes 8 to 10 servings