West Coast Soy-Sausage Artichoke Lasagne
For the Tofu Ricotta filling:
1 lb. firm tofu, drained
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. dried basil
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced, or 1/4 tsp. powdered garlic
14 oz. package of vegetarian soy sausage (try Lightlife soy sausage)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 or 2 16-oz. cans artichoke hearts, packed in water
1 small bag of frozen peas
1 box of lasagne noodles
1 28-oz. jar prepared tomato sauce
• Mash all the ingredients for the tofu ricotta filling together and set aside.
• In a large pan, cook the soy sausage in the olive oil, breaking it up into crumbles. Drain the artichoke hearts, cut into quarters or smaller pieces, and set aside.
• Put the frozen peas in a colander and run hot tap water over them to defrost. Set aside.
• Cook the lasagne noodles according to the instructions on the package.
• Cover the bottom of your lasagna pan with some tomato sauce. Put down a layer of pasta. Put half of the tofu mixture over the noodles, followed by half each of the soy sausage, artichoke hearts, and peas. Repeat layering until all the ingredients are gone, ending with the pasta and sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour at 350ºF.
• Before cutting and serving, let sit for 15 minutes to allow the pasta to settle.
Makes 6 to 9 servings