Vegetarian Chili With Mixed Beans
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
3 cups diced zucchini, with peel
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped green or yellow peppers
1 1/2 cups diced parsnips
1 1/2 cups diced yellow turnips
1 1/2 cups diced fresh mushrooms
1 cup celery
1 cup diced carrot
1 19-oz. can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
1 14-oz. can stewed tomatoes, with juice, broken up
5 1/2 cans tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white (or alcohol-free) wine
4 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. vegan sour cream
2 Tbsp. chives, chopped
2 Tbsp. hot sauce, optional
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in cooking oil until soft.
- Add the next eight ingredients, stir, and cover. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the next eight ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add sour cream and chives and enjoy!
Makes 12 cups