Vegan Lemon Chicken

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. vegan chicken strips, chopped (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chick’n Strips)
1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
6 fresh large basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 lemon, sliced into thin wedges
2 Tbsp. chopped chives
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup tomato sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste

• Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the “chicken,” mushrooms, basil, lemon, chives, and half of the wine. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the “chicken” is heated through.
• Add the tomato sauce and the remaining wine. Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with the salt and pepper.
• Serve over rice.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Commenting is closed.
      • Rita says:

Isn’t the point of fake meat to be for vegetarians who miss meat? To make their life easier? Sometimes I crave meat so I’ll eat a fake meat product and feel just as satisfied. I didn’t become a vegetarian for health reasons and I eat much unhealthier things, so I don’t mind.

• Angela Wine says:

what in fact are the morning star chicken vegan strips made of.
        I also do not eat substitute products for meat, butter or whatever if they are not natural and organic. For me to eat vegan non healthy food is as bad as eating animal products, health wise even worse.
        Margarine for example is simply bad stuff

• Ariana says:

You have to make sure you are looking at the “VEGAN” line of Morningstar products not ALL of their products are vegan.

I personally just don’t get eating fake meat products at all. Seems like a person is missing meat if they are using such prodcuts most of which are made from a bunch of crap that I’d never eat. I eat 100% natural and only grown organic without the use of pesticides, and other ingredients that have to be processed. I guess I’m more of a rawist than anything else. Thinking out loud here I guess.

• Trish says:

The morning star chick’n strips ARE vegan, they are just not gluten free, as are the mock beef strips. But mostly all of their other products do contain egg and milk, which is really shame.

• Lolly says:

Can you purchase “Frys” vegetarian products – they are made from Protam and really yummy – exported from South Africa.

• Lolly says:

• Laura says:

idk about all areas, but where i live morningstar products are NOT vegan. they contain both milk and eggs