Vegan King Cake
For the Lemon Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. water
Food coloring (optional)
• Combine the sugar, lemon juice, and water. Pour over the cake.
For the Cake:
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 pkgs. dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water
Egg replacer equivalent to 3 eggs
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 1/2-5 cups self-rising flour, sifted
1 lb. vegan cream cheese (try Tofutti brand)
1 tsp. soy milk
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1-inch baby doll, bean, or nut (optional)
• In a saucepan over high heat, combine the soy milk, sugar, salt, and shortening. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Cool to lukewarm.
• In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
• Add the soy milk mixture, egg replacer, lemon rind, nutmeg, cinnamon, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add the remaining flour 1 cup at a time until the dough can be shaped into a ball with your hands.
• Place in a greased bowl, turn over to coat, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm place free from drafts for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
• In a medium bowl, mix the vegan cream cheese, soy milk, and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
• Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Pat out to form a large rectangle. Spread the “cream cheese” mixture lengthwise over the bottom 1/2. Flip the top 1/2 over the filling and pinch the edges to seal. Roll with your hands into a cylinder and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Form into a ring and pinch the ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
• Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool. Carefully insert the baby doll into the bottom of the cake.
Note: For a traditional King Cake, make purple, green, and yellow frosting and frost the cake in stripes.
Makes 8-10 servings
Commenting is closed.
In This Section
Products temporarily unavailable.