Vegan Albondigas Soup
1 8oz. can tomato sauce
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup diced white onions
1 1/2 tsp. celery flakes
2 cups water
Dash sea salt, plus more for seasoning
Dash pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 14-oz. package of vegan ground beef (try Lightlife Gimme Lean®)
1 14-oz. package of vegan chorizo (try El Burrito® Soyrizo)
1/4 cup uncooked white rice
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
4 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
3 potatoes, cubed
1/2 lb. fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
Diced avocado, for garnish
- Mix the tomato sauce, vegetable broth, white onions, celery flakes, and remaining water together in a large pot and bring to a boil. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the vegan ground beef, vegan chorizo, white rice, dried bread crumbs, onion powder, oregano, a dash of sea salt, and a dash of pepper and mix together with your hands until well combined. Using a 1/8-cup measuring cup for portioning, shape the mixture into balls.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and brown the "meatballs" carefully over medium-high heat, then remove and set aside. (The "meatballs" do not need to be fully cooked, as they will finish cooking in the soup.)
- Add the carrots, celery, yellow onion, and potatoes to the boiling broth. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Add the "meatballs" and remaining vegetables and continue simmering for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and diced avocado. Serve with warm corn tortillas and fresh salsa—enjoy!