For the Sun-Dried-Tomato Linguine:
1/2 lb. linguine
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pkg. faux-chicken strips (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips)
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, quartered
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions. Drain.
• In a medium pan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. of the oil and sauté the “chicken” strips until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
• Heat the remaining oil in the pan and sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the “chicken” and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often. Season with the salt and pepper.
• Toss with the pasta until thoroughly coated.
For the Pesto:
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2-3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
• Place the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and process until minced. Add the basil, salt, and pepper and process until ground into a paste.
• With the machine running, pour the oil into the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until well blended. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the vegan cheese.*
• Toss the pasta with the pesto, to taste, until thoroughly coated.
Makes 2 to 3 servings
*Note: This can be made ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.