1 1/2 cups soy milk
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sea salt
2 minced jalapeño peppers (optional)
1 cup corn kernels
1/2 cup canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
1/2 cup maple syrup
• Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 10-inch iron skillet or a 9- x 9-inch metal pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Place in the oven to warm.
• Mix the soy milk and the lemon juice to make “buttermilk.”
• Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the jalapeños. Set aside.
• In a food processor, purée the corn kernels. Add the oil and syrup and process until well-incorporated.
• Mix with the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned.
Makes 8 servings