Seva’s Chocolate-Raspberry-Hazelnut Torte
For the Chocolate-Tofu Filling:
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
14 Tbsp. maple syrup
10 oz. soft tofu, at room temperature
• In a double boiler, stirring often, melt the chocolate and 10 Tbsp. of the maple syrup. Cool slightly.
• In a blender, purée the chocolate mixture, the remaining syrup, and the tofu until very smooth. Set aside.
For the Hazelnut Meal:
2 cups hazelnuts
• In a 300ºF oven, dry roast the hazelnuts for 30 minutes.
• Cool to room temperature and reserve 8 nuts to use as a garnish. In a food processor, grind the remaining nuts, forming a course meal. Set aside 1/2 cup to use as a garnish. The remaining meal will go into the body of the cake.
For the Couscous Mixture:
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups vegan sugar (try Sucanat)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup couscous
1 Tbsp. Frangelico liqueur
1 Tbsp. Chambord liqueur
• In a heavy saucepan, stir together the water, sugar, cocoa powder, and couscous. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickend, stirring often.
• Remove from the heat and stir in the liqueurs.
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
• Press the couscous mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle the hazelnut meal reserved for the body of the cake over the couscous. Cover with the chocolate-tofu filling and smooth with a spatula.
• Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until completely set.
• Heat the raspberry jam until spreadable. Spread a thick layer over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the remaining hazelnut mixture. Cut into 8 slices and garnish each with a roasted hazelnut
Makes 8 servings