Seitan Stroganoff Over Eggless Noodles
For the Stroganoff:
1/3 lb. Earth Balance margarine
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 lbs. prepared seitan, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 lbs. onion, chopped
3 lbs. white mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
3 1/2 qts. vegetable stock
3 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. dried thyme
2 Tbsp. Gravy Master or other vegan browning seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Melt the margarine in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 5 minutes to form a roux. Set aside.
• Heat the oil in a medium saucepot. Add the seitan cubes and cook for 7 minutes, or until browned.
• Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, or until just soft.
• Add the mushrooms and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until mostly cooked through.
• Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
• Place the vegetable stock, bay leaves, and thyme in the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
• While the liquid is simmering, whisk in the prepared roux (a little bit at a time to prevent clumping), bring back to a slow simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. If the gravy seems too thin, prepare a small amount of additional roux and repeat the thickening process.
• Season with the browning sauce, salt, and pepper.
For the Noodles:
3 lbs. eggless flat noodles
1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine
• Place the noodles in rapidly boiling salted water and cook for 2 minutes less than the package directions specify.
• Drain and toss with the margarine.
1 qt. vegan sour cream
1/3 cup chopped chives
• Serve 6 oz. of the stroganoff over the noodles and garnish with the vegan sour cream and the chives.
Makes 25 6-oz. servings