Seitan Kebabs With Mango-Orange Glaze
For the Glaze:
2 cups fresh mango juice
1 cup fresh orange juice
2 fresh lemons
1/2 cup sauternes
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup cane syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. curry powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
• Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
• Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until syrupy.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. prepared seitan
2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 green peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 lb. whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb. whole crimini mushrooms
15 mango-curry or bamboo skewers
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for grilling
1 lb. fresh mango, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• Thread the seitan, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the skewers.
• Brush with the olive oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are softened and the seitan is browned.
• Brush the mango with oil and grill separately. Add to the skewers.
• Brush with the prepared glaze and cook for 2 minutes on each side to caramelize.
• Brush with additional glaze and serve immediately.
Makes 15 skewers