Roasted Potatoes With Fiery Sauce
8 potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing the potatoes
1 large white onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 jalapeño, chopped*
3 Tbsp. crushed garlic
2 Tbsp. tomato purée
3/4 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
15-oz. can tomatoes, chopped
6 oz. white wine
Salt and black pepper, to taste
• Brush the potatoes with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast at 450°F for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden.
• Meanwhile, heat the 3 Tbsp. of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and bay leaf. Cook until the onions are translucent.
• Add the jalapeño, garlic, tomato purée, sugar, and tamari. Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
• Add the chopped tomatoes and wine and, stirring constantly, raise the temperature to medium and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
• When the potatoes are finished, season with salt and pepper. Place in a serving dish and pour the sauce on top. Serve immediately.
*Note: For a milder sauce, seed the peppers. Be sure to wear gloves when chopping the peppers.
Makes 6 to 8 servings