Quinoa With Fresh Cilantro
1 lb. quinoa (2 1/2 cups dry)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp. vegetarian chicken-flavored powder
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
Salt, to taste
• Place the quinoa in a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Drain and set aside.
• Heat the oil in a 4-qt. saucepan and add the onion. Sauté until translucent.
• In a small bowl, dissolve the “chicken”-flavored powder in the boiling water. Add to the saucepan.
• Add the rinsed quinoa and the bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and fluffy. Remove from the heat.
• Add the cilantro and the pepper. Season with the salt as desired.
Makes 8 cups