Porcini Wild Rice Soup
1/2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups boiling water
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
1 tsp. salt
Black pepper, to taste
8 oz. cremini mushrooms (about 3 cups), thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups wild rice (a blend, preferably)
4 cups vegetable broth (or more if needed)
1 carrot, peeled and grated
Several sprigs fresh chervil for garnish
• Preheat a stockpot over medium-high heat.
• Place the porcinis in a bowl and add the water. Cover with a plate and set aside.
• Add the olive oil to the stockpot and sauté the onions for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Stirring frequently, cook until brown, about 10 minutes.
• Add the sliced creminis and sauté for about 3 minutes.
• Meanwhile, remove the porcinis from the water with a fork or pair of tongs and thinly slice. Add to the stockpot along with the water in the bowl. Cook for about 3 more minutes.
• Add the wild rice and stir for about 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring the heat down to low and simmer.
• Cook until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Add the carrot, then turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. If too thick, add another cup of water or broth. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the chervil.
Makes 6 servings
Commenting is closed.
In This Section
Products temporarily unavailable.