Philadelphia “Cheezesteak” Sandwiches
1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound) peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
Salt and pepper
3 cups sliced onions
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. dried basil
4 6-inch sub rolls
4 slices cheddar-style soy cheese
• Preheat the broiler or grill.
• Lightly oil a baking sheet.
• Place the eggplant slices on the sheet.
• With your finger, lightly brush each slice with olive oil.
• Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil to taste.
• Turn the slices over and repeat on the other side.
• Broil or grill the eggplant for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
• While the eggplant is cooking, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
• Add the onions, soy sauce, water, and basil.
• Mix well, breaking the onion slices into rings.
• Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
• Stir several times while cooking.
• To serve, place the eggplant in the rolls, slightly overlapping the slices.
• Top with the onions and soy cheese slices.
Makes 4 servings