For the Glaze:
3 cups fresh orange juice
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 shallot, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
• Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
• Simmer over medium heat for 25 minutes, or until reduced by 3/4 and syrupy.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. prepared seitan
2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 red peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/2 lbs. whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb. whole crimini mushrooms
10 citrus-rosemary skewers or bamboo skewers
1/4 cup olive oil
• Thread the seitan, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the skewers.
• Brush with the olive oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are softened and the seitan is browned.
• Brush with the prepared glaze and grill for 2 minutes on each side, or until caramelized. Brush with additional glaze and serve.
Makes approximately 10 skewers