Orange Rolls With Toasted Pecans
For the Dough:
4 cups flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. vegan margarine
Egg replacer equivalent to 3 eggs
• In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour with the yeast. Set aside.
• In a saucepan, heat the soy milk, sugar, and margarine over medium-low heat until the margarine is melted.
• Combine with the flour mixture and add the egg replacer. Beat for 2 minutes on low speed and then for 3 minutes on high. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
• Knead slightly. (It’s sticky and hard to knead, but give it a couple of minutes and the dough will become elastic.)
• Let rise in oiled bowl for 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down, divide in half, and let rest for 10 minutes.
For the Filling:
6 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup toasted pecans
Zest from 1 orange
For the Frosting:
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1-3 Tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. vegan margarine
• While the dough is resting, combine all the ingredients for the filling.
• In a separate bowl, combine all the frosting ingredients until smooth.
• Roll each dough 1/2 into a 12- x 18-inch rectangle and spread with the filling. Roll up and cut into 12 pieces. Place cut-side down in a baking dish, about a 1/2 inch apart. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours.
• Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool.
• Pour the frosting on top of the rolls.
Makes 24 rolls