Orange French Toast
6 1-inch-thick slices French bread
1/4 cup nondairy cream cheese
1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
1 1/2 tsp. orange juice
5 Tbsp. sugar (try Florida Crystals brand)
1/2 cup soy milk
3 Tbsp. unbleached flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Vegan margarine sufficient for cooking the bread
Confectioner’s sugar for garnish
Fresh strawberries for garnish
Maple syrup for garnish
• Cut a pocket horizontally into each slice of the bread, being careful not to cut all the way through. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, stir together the “cream cheese,” orange peel, orange juice, and sugar. Spoon 1 heaping tsp. into each bread pocket. Spread evenly with a knife.
• In a shallow bowl, beat together the soy milk, flour, and vanilla. Place a slice of stuffed bread in the soy milk mixture. Let soak about 5 seconds and then turn over and let soak another 5 seconds. Repeat with remaining pieces of bread.
• Melt the vegan margarine on a large griddle over medium heat. Cook the bread slices for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
• Serve warm, sprinkled with the confectioner’s sugar, fresh berries, and maple syrup.
Makes 3 servings