2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 cup vegetarian stuffing mix
1/2 cup nondairy parmesan cheese (try Soymage brand—www.galaxyfoods.com)
8 oz. nondairy cream cheese (try Tofutti brand—www.tofutti.com)
1 lb. firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled
Salt and pepper, to taste
Margarine or spray oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• Preheat the oven to 400°F.
• In a medium pot, sauté the onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add the mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, and sage and continue to cook until the mushrooms begin to release their juices. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the stuffing mix.
• In a food processor, blend the nondairy parmesan cheese, nondairy cream cheese, and tofu until smooth. Add the mushroom mixture and purée. Add the salt and pepper.
• Using margarine or spray oil, butter a 2-quart mold and put a piece of wax paper on the bottom. Pour the mushroom mixture into the mold, pressing down to remove any air bubbles.
• Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Cover the top with a piece of wax paper and place weights (plates and cups will do) on top. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
• To serve, remove the weights, peel off the wax paper, and blot any excess surface juices. Turn the pâté out onto a platter and garnish with the fresh parsley. Serve with crackers or fresh vegetables.
Makes 6 to 8 servings