Marinated Tofu Sandwich
1 lb. extra-firm tofu
1 cup barbecue sauce (or sweet and sour sauce/ spicy salsa/ or olive oil with your favourite seasoning)
4 whole wheat sandwich rolls
Sautéed onions, diced bell peppers, etc.
• Drain the tofu and cut it in half horizontally to make two pieces.
• Wrap the tofu in a clean towel, carefully press it between two baking sheets with a small weight on top to remove excess water (don’t crush the tofu), and refrigerate for an hour or more.
• Unwrap the tofu and place in a shallow baking dish. Spoon 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce over the tofu, cover the baking dish and let the tofu marinate in the fridge for at least several hours. The longer the tofu marinates (up to 5 days) the more flavourful it will be.
• Place the marinated tofu on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 1 hour.
• Slice the sandwich rolls open, cut the tofu into thin slices, and divide it among the rolls. Mix the sautéed onions, bell peppers, etc., with the remaining barbecue sauce and spoon over the sandwiches.