Lemon Sugar Cookies
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. pure lemon oil (not extract)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, preferably unsalted, at room temperature
1/3 cup lemon zest
1/4 cup soft silken tofu
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease 2 baking sheets and set aside.
• Stir together 2/3 cup of the sugar and 1 tsp. of the lemon oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the margarine, the remaining 1 cup of sugar, the remaining 1 tsp. of lemon oil, and the zest with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the tofu and beat until well-blended. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture and lemon juice, and beat just until blended.
• Form the dough into 1-inch balls, roll them in the sugar-lemon oil mixture to coat, and place them on the baking sheets, allowing room for them to spread. Flatten each ball with the bottom of a glass.
• Bake one sheet at a time for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove the cookies from the baking sheet and let them cool on a wire rack.
Makes 4 dozen cookies