Hungarian-Style Braised Mushrooms
1 lb. sweet onions, sliced
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 cups julienned sweet red peppers
2 lbs. baby bella or white button mushrooms
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. paprika
Pinch of cayenne
5 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup tomato paste
4 cups Mushroom Stock (see recipe below)
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 cup Cashew Crème (see recipe below)
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• Sauté the onions in the olive oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.
• Stir in the salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and flour. Stir in the tomato paste and then slowly stir in the stock and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes and add the Cashew Crème and vinegar. Cook a few minutes longer. Season to taste.
• Serve with noodles, rice or some other grain.
For the Mushroom Stock:
1 cup dried mushrooms
1 1/4 qts. vegetable stock
• Simmer the dried mushrooms in the stock for 10 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and rinse if needed. Chop coarsely and set aside.
• Strain the stock through a fine sieve or coffee filter to remove any soil. Add the mushrooms back into the stock and keep warm until ready to add to the recipe.
For the Cashew Crème:
1/2 cup raw cashews*
3/4 cup water
• Place the cashews and water in a blender. Let sit 20 minutes. Using pulsing actions, blend until very smooth.
*Note: Roasted cashews may be used instead. If only salted cashews are available, reduce or eliminate the salt from the mushroom recipe.
Makes 6 to 8 servings