Hash Brown Casserole
1 lb. frozen hash browns, thawed
1/2 lb. vegan sausage, crumbled
5 Tbsp. margarine, divided
6 green onions, sliced
4 Tbsp. flour
3/4 cup vegetable broth
3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp. oregano
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp. salt
Black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
• Lightly oil a casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
• Gently toss the hash browns and vegan sausage together and place in the casserole dish.
• In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 Tbsp. of the margarine and sauté the green onions for 1 minute.
• Whisk in the flour, creating a roux, and cook for 1 minute, or until browned. Gradually whisk in the broth, nutritional yeast, oregano, and soy milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened (the sauce shouldn’t be so thick that it sits on top of the casserole instead of steeping through). Season with the salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the casserole.
• In a small bowl, melt the remaining 1 Tbsp. margarine and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the top is browned.
Makes 4 to 6 servings