Fusilli Salad With Grilled Garlic ‘Chicken’ and Zucchini
1/2 lb. whole wheat fusilli
4 small zucchinis, halved lengthwise
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 bag “chicken” strips (try Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips)
4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Garlic powder, to taste
1 1/2 tsp. miso paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped basil
• Preheat a grill pan. In a stock pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook the fusilli until al dente. Drain and place in large mixing bowl.
• Brush the cut sides of the zucchini with 1 Tbsp. of the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
• Toss the “chicken” strips with 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil and season with garlic powder.
• In the grill pan, grill both sides of the zucchini and the “chicken” strips until grill marks appear.
• In a small mixing bowl, combine the miso paste, garlic, red pepper, and the remaining 2 Tbsp. each of the lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Wisk until emulsified, creating a dressing.
• Cut the zucchini into 1/4-inch pieces and add to the fusilli. Add the “chicken” strips and red pepper. Add the dressing and toss well. Sprinkle the basil on top and season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings