Fire-Up-the-Grill Fajitas

Juice of 2 limes (4 Tbsp.)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (for extra heat, don’t seed the pepper before mincing it)
2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more if you can stand it)
1 lb. extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch strips
2 ears fresh corn
1 large red onion
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
12 cherry tomatoes
4 large flour or corn tortillas
Guacamole

• Put the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, chili powder, and cayenne pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Put the tofu in a shallow pan, add the lime juice mixture, and marinate in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, for several hours.
• Meanwhile, remove the husks from the corn and soak it in cold water for 1 hour. Drain the corn and wrap it in aluminum foil. Grill for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often, until the corn is lightly charred. Cut the corn kernels off the cob.
• Parboil the onion and cut into quarters. Thread the onion, bell peppers, and tomatoes onto skewers and brush with some of the lime marinade. Grill, turning often, until lightly charred.
• Place the tofu on the grill, cover with a lid or aluminum foil and cook, basting occasionally with the marinade until the tofu is light brown.
• Heat each tortilla briefly on the grill. Divide the vegetables and tofu equally among the tortillas, then roll them up fajita-style. Serve with guacamole.

Makes 4 servings

Commenting is closed.
    • Jenna Boesiger says:

I wish that vegetarian meals like this were more available and more included as an option in our society!!! someday I believe that…

• foram says:

plz send me a menu of vegetarian food for high blood pressure immidiately. full food chart of week. thanx. send me via mail.

• Nicole Cleary says:

Really good. I used the broiler on the oven instead of the bbq (ours is broken). Omitted the guacamole and added salsa. Turned out really well.

• Katherine says:

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for cooking this indoors on the stove. I don’t have a grill and live in an apartment where we aren’t allowed to grill on our patios. Thanks!

• Rayzer says:

I am trying very hard to go meat free (over a month now) for the simple fact that I am tired of our food supply being crammed full of crap that I have no doubts are causing all the cancer we’re seeing these days. I also feel the same way about all the pesticides that are being introduced to our fruits, vegetables, etc. It’s just ridiculous!

• emily shea says:

delicious!

• Debbie McGee says:

I have just made the decision and lifestyle change to become a vegetarian for moral reasons. I saw the McDonald’s clip PETA put out and it sickened me so badly I cried for several days. I’ve never thought meat was a necessity if groups of food were prepared properly. Thank you PETA for doing the work, and putting the word out to anybody that is willing to listen. Thank you for speaking up for the chickens.
      Debbie McGee