Safflower oil, for oiling the cookie sheet
3 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup unbleached cane sugar
1 Tbsp. orange zest
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup vegan margarine
1 1/2 cups tofu sour cream or soy yogurt
1/3 cup orange juice (or substitute soy milk, rice milk, or another nondairy milk of your choice)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
• Use a little safflower oil to lightly oil a nonstick cookie sheet then set it aside.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir well.
• Use a pastry blender to cut in the vegan margarine until the mixture has a coarse, crumby texture.
• In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
• Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and use your hands to pat the dough until it is about 3/4 inch thick.
• Dip a 3-inch cookie cutter of any shape into a little flour, cut 12 sections out of the dough (re-dipping the cutter into the flour as needed), and transfer them to the prepared cookie sheet.
• Bake them at 400ºF for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350ºF and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until they are light brown on the bottom.
• Allow them to cool slightly before serving.
Makes 12 servings