Chocolate Chip Scones
2 cups self-rising flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 soft silken tofu
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a large baking sheet and set it aside.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in the vegetable shortening until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the soy milk, tofu, and vanilla.
• Add the contents of the small bowl and the chocolate chips to the crumb mixture and blend with a fork until the mixture forms a soft dough.
• Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it 5 or 6 times.
• With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 7-inch circle. Cut it into 8 wedges and place them about an inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
• Pierce the top of each with a fork. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.
• Serve hot.
Makes 8 scones