Chocolate Chip Brownies
1 cup canola oil
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup soy milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
• Lightly oil a 12-inch-by-17 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan and set aside.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, soy milk, and vanilla.
• In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
• Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula. Be careful not to overmix. Fold in the nuts, if desired, and chocolate chips.
• Pour the batter into the pan, and smooth the top with a moistened spatula.
• Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until surface cracks appear.
• Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. The brownies will set as they cool. When completely cool, cut into squares.
Makes approximately 1 dozen brownies