4 1/2 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted and halved
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/4 cups plus 1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Flaky Pie Crusts (see recipe)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Earth Balance (cold-pressed nonhydrogenated margarine)
• Place the cherries in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cover, and cook until most of the juice has been extracted. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1 1/4 cups of the Florida Crystals. Stir in the hot cherries and mix well.
• Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove and cool. To reach the desired consistency, add either water to thin or cornstarch to thicken.
• Preheat the oven to 375°F.
• Prepare the pie crust dough and divide in half. Shape each piece to fit an 8 x 9-inch pie pan.
• Place one crust in the pan and fill with the cooled cherry mixture. Dot with the margarine.
• Moisten the edge of the bottom crust, top with the other crust, and crimp the edges together. Make a slit in the middle of the top crust to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. of the Florida Crystals.
• Bake for approximately 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
Makes 8 to 10 servings