4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance (cold-pressed nonhydrogenated margarine)
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
• In a small stockpot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion for 2 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, ginger, and garlic and sauté until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
• Add the mirin and continue cooking until almost evaporated.
• Add the vegetable stock and cook for 15 minutes.
• Purée in a blender.
• Strain back into the stockpot through a fine sieve. Add the Earth Balance and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
• Stir in the vinegar.
• Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Makes 1 cup