2 cups soy milk
2 Tbsp. vinegar
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
• Preheat the oven to 425°F.
• In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside.
• Sift together the flours in a large bowl. Using your fingers, rub the margarine into the flours, forming a crumbly mixture. Add the salt and baking soda.
• Make a well in the center and gradually add the soy milk mixture, mixing constantly. Add only enough to make the dough soft but still manageable.
• Knead inside the bowl for 30 seconds.
• Remove to a lightly floured baking sheet and use the palm of your hand to flatten into a 1 1/2–inch-thick disk. Use a knife to score a cross in the center.
• Bake for 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 15 minutes. If the crust is too hard, cover it in a damp tea cloth. Let cool.
Makes 4 servings