Boston Baked Beans
1 lb. dry Great Northern beans
Water sufficient to cover the beans
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup molasses
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. vegetable broth powder
1/4 lb. faux ham, roughly chopped (try Yves brand)
1 large white onion, diced
• Place the beans in a large kettle. Cover with the water and sprinkle with the baking soda. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving the liquid.
• Combine the salt, molasses, dry mustard, vegan Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and vegetable broth powder.
• Place 1/3 of the beans in a slow cooker and add a small amount of the reserved liquid. Layer with 1/3 of the molasses mixture, 1/3 of the faux ham, and 1/3 of the onion.
• Repeat in the same order until the remaining beans, molasses mixture, faux ham, and onion have been used, adding a small amount of the reserved liquid with each layer.
• Cover with the remaining reserved liquid, adding water if needed.
• Cook on low heat for 9 to 11 hours, or until the beans are tender.
Makes 6 to 8 servings