1 lb. pecans
6 Tbsp. maple syrup
3 3/4 cups chocolate chips (try Valrhona brand)
1 cup raw brown sugar
8 oz. soy margarine
1 1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
4 Tbsp. powdered Egg Replacer
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
• Coat the pecans with the maple syrup. Bake on a nonstick pan at 350°F for 12 minutes. Remove from the tray.
• Melt 2 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips in a double boiler.
• Whip the sugar and margarine with an electric mixer until fluffy. Blend in the melted chocolate and the soy milk.
• In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, egg replacer, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a spatula, combine with the whipped mixture. Mix in 1/2 of the pecans and the remaining chocolate chips.
• Spread in a 9 x 12-inch foil-lined pan. Top with the remaining pecans. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature, then freeze. Pull on the foil to remove the brownies. Cut the brownies into 12 squares. Bring to room temperature.
Makes 12 servings