Basmati and Wild Rice Pilaf
1/4 cup wild rice, rinsed
1 15-oz. can Swanson’s vegetable broth
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms (approximately 1/2 lb.)
2 stalks celery
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
• Combine the wild rice, vegetable broth, and 1/3 cup of the water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add the basmati rice, cover, and cook over low heat for approximately 50 minutes, or until tender.
• In a large pot or skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the water over medium heat. Add the onion and the garlic and cook until all the water has evaporated and browned bits of the onion begin to stick to the pan.
• While scraping the pan, add the remaining water. Cook until the onion begins to stick again. Add additional water as needed and continue cooking for approximately 15 minutes, or until nicely browned.
• Add the mushrooms, celery, thyme, marjoram, black pepper, and salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cooked rice, parsley, and chopped pecans.
• Turning gently, cook over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until very hot.
Makes 6 servings