Banana Muffins

3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup oil or melted vegan margarine
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional—see other options listed below)

• Mash bananas (overripe ones make the best bread). Add oil/margarine and sugar. Mix well.
• Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together and add to the banana mixture. Mix until the flour is blended (do not beat).
Pour into muffin pans or a bread pan and bake at 360°F until a toothpick comes out clean.

Optional: Add a handful of walnuts, oatmeal, raisins, chocolate chips, currants, coconut, or all of the above!

Makes 1 Dozen Muffins

Commenting is closed.
      • Caroline says:

These are amazing! Moist, fluffy and crunchy on top.

• Malia says:

Can’t wait to try them!

• France says:

i am on a low fat diet. How can i get the nutrinional info on a recipe aside from having to break down all ingredients individualy.

• teri says:

is there a calorie count on this ?

• Kevin says:

I added 1/4 cup of cocoa and 1 3/4 flour. Baking time is around 25 mins. so you don’t have to open the oven for testing :)

• Myriah says:

I made this exactly according to the directions but I did not end up with something that I could “pour” into a muffin pan. It was thick sticky dough, so I put it into a bread pan and tried baking it anyway, but what I got was a thick, heavy brick of bread. What did I do wrong?

• Cheesecake19 says:

I don’t have any oven here. Is there some alternative to it? :D

• Larney says:

Just to ask, if I haven’t got cake cases, would just sticking the mixture into a silicone cake tin thing work? Or not? if not is there a recipe on here for just a banana bread/cake?

Lots of Love,
        Allana (ie. No.1 Vegan and Proud)

• Larney says:

Lots of Love,
        Allana (ie. No.1 Vegan and Proud)

• Ke Lovinlyfe says:

I am a fresh vegan, I need to know gluten and vegan free solutions for eggs, milk, flour, sugar, this transition will be new for me i have allergies to all types of food please help

• miguel says:

el azucar de stevia, por supuesto. Los azucares refinados nada recomendables.

• Courtney says:

I added 1 cup of organic blueberries to this recipe, my whole family love them!

• Sonja says:

Make sure the sugar is vegan most sugar is NOT vegan and is processed with animal bone

• Amelia says:

For Becky – In the UK there is ‘Pure’ Vegetable Spread. Its available at most of the big supermarkets. More info: http://www.puredairyfree.co.uk/

• Jill says:

Becky. “Pure” are the easiest vegan margarines to find. All Tescos have at least one type. They have Pure Sunflower that tastes just like flora. They also have an olive one and another I cant remember. I use the sunflower and use it in any recipe I would use butter/marg/oil.

• Cinnamom says:

I made these and subbed applesauce for the oil, used 1/2 cup almond flour and the rest wheat flour, used 1/2 sugar and half stevia. Baked for about a half hour in a loaf pan.

• Becky says:

I am completely new to being a vegan, in fact I haven’t started yet I just want to sort out what I can eat first, does anyone know any Margarines that are sold in England that are vegan because I can’t find any in my local stores online.

• inkangel69 says:

Hi – I’m a virgin vegan and was looking at your comments. When i decided to make the change, of course the first package ingredient i checked out was chocolate and it seems all of them have some type of dairy product. Is there a vegan chocolate chip?

• fiorella says:

I made these muffins this morning, they came out so good!
        I did them exactly like the recipe said next time I am going to add the semi sweet chocolate chips

• Jaclyn says:

I made these muffins last night without ANY sugar, but added some semi-sweet chocolate chips (and ground flaxseed meal) and they came out really good! I think for next time I’m going to substitute the flour with wheat flour for a “healthier” muffin.

• nicky says:

How much calories are there in each muffin?

• Marsha says:

@Linda: There are many ways to raise the nutritional value of these muffins. Applesauce can be subbed for oil, you can grind your own wheat flour, add oats, add flaxseed meal, add a grated carrot, add ground nuts, add sunflower seeds, add raisins, sub the sugar for maple syrup, honey or black strap molasses. Or I’m sure other people have more suggestions. But even if you leave them as they are, and consider them a “treat”, it’s not unhealthy to have an occasional treat! Besides, if you don’t allow yourself vegan treats every once in a while, you are more likely to “fall off the wagon”.

• CLG says:

The muffins are baked for about 25min. At least, according to this (eerily similar) recipe http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veganmuffinrecipes/r/bananamuffins.htm

• Mom on a Mission says:

I would really like to see the nutrional values posted (number of calories, fat, etc. Thank you

• CCVegan says:

Too much oil for those of us watching our intake! Thank goodness for your amazing baking cheat sheet! We can use apple sauce and other wholesome low fat ingredients and these muffins taste even better this way!

• Nancy says:

Are there diabetic recipes?

• Anna Amelia says:

Great recipe. Especially useful for using up very ripe bananas!

• Janiana says:

How many minutes for muffins :)

• janiana says:

Im going vegan for the first time and had this recipe, It’s great :)

• Amy says:

For Ally: I’ve also tried making it in a loaf, you want to lower the temperature a bit so that the outside cooks more slowly while the inside is cooking. In my over, 350 on the middle rack makes a perfect loaf in about 50 minutes. Hope this helps and good luck!

Amy

• ally says:

I loved how easy this recipe is and totally delicious! I tried making it into a bread instead of muffins one time and the inside came out raw and the outside was perfectly cook. Does anyone know what temp I should have the oven on and how long to cook it if I want to make it into a bread instead.thanks

• Nadia says:

Gona try the recipe!

• Lucí says:

I´m from Argentina, I ran ito this page looking for vegetarian recipies! I´m very proud of what I believe and I love what you do :)

• Kelly says:

Please be sure to find Vegan sugar. The sugar in the grocery stores is cleaned by processing the sugar through bone char, yes bone char. If you are using regular sugar, you have slivers of animal bones in it.

• Karen says:

Lau, Earth Balance is one brand of vegan margarine that is widely available. Plan to make these muffins today, thanks for the recipe!

• Ashley-P says:

Lau: Just be sure to purchase vegan margarine.

• Lau says:

Hello! I have a question.. I was told margarine was also bad and had animal stuff in it. Is this true?? I stopped buying it because of that.

• Laurie says:

My family is interested in starting to take on a vegan (or the very least vegatarian) way of living. I am however a little concerned about ensuring the kids get what they need at this stage of their life. I am aware of the alternatives to meats but my son has a nut allergy. Any other suggestions?

• Lola says:

First off, I have to say that I am VERY happy with the way my muffins came out! Since been Vegan, I have not baked anything that was so successful! I only had 2 Bananas, so I added ¼ cup of Apple Sauce. I also had no White Flour, only Brown Rice Flour. I used 1 tsp of Xanthan Gum for a Gluten substitute. I only had Brown Turbinado Sugar, but only added ½ a cup. I did add a cup of Chopped Walnuts. Mixed it together by hand. I added a couple of Fresh Blueberries last minute into about half of them and topped it with Poppy Seeds. Baked for 22 minutes. Yum! My husband has a weakness for pastries…. at least this way I know what’s in them!

• Dave says:

What about “cocoa butter”. I have seen that in some whole foods chocolate and have avoided. I use/snack on Enjoy Life’s chips: http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/chocolate_for_baking/semisweet_mini_chips.html

Unbelievable. Very good and vegan as per their website.

• Linda says:

Muffins such as these are a snack food, there’s little if any protein and far too much sugar. Not the right thing to eat for breakfast at all. You would be better off having soy or other non dairy milk or yogurt, with fresh fruit and nuts. However, non dairy milk alternatives tend to have a lot of sugar in them and other additives such as maltodextrin which is another sugar.

• Lori says:

I made the muffins and found that i was making bread cause the mix was like dough I could roll out. Is this the way they should of come out.I checked the recipe many time to see if i forgot something but I didn’t…

• goedelite says:

My problem with a vegan diet (or with other “diets” is they require too much food preparation in order to make the dishes satisfying and attractive. I don’t like spending that much time, effort on what I eat. I avoid excessive amounts of animal fat, dairy fat, refined sugars and flours, but I do so and still include some of these because they have benefits as well as disadvantages. I am not overweight, have a cholesterol of 160mg/dl, no known heart disease and I exercise regularly. I enjoy what I eat but spend very little time on food preparation. I am open to suggestions.

• Katie says:

Chocolate chips can be tricky–some companies DO use milk in the making of their semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips. However, Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips are indeed vegan and I’ve found that most stores carry them. When in doubt, read the ingredients. These muffins sound delicious and I can’t wait to make them!

• Shirleysaur says:

chocolate chips isn’t a milk product because they don’t use milk to make dark chocolate

• veganboy says:

best muffins i ever made, mixture a bit dry but didnt worry they turned out perefect although a bit too sweet next time i will only add 3/4 cup of sugar

• Penny A says:

Isn’t chocolate chips a milk product?

• Elaine says:

Try to omit sugar that makes this recipes fattening. Substitutions would be dextrose or Xylitol less calories and better for your dental health

• Christine Souza says:

Delicious and so easy to make! Used some chocolate chips, no nuts and my picky son is loving them!

• Casey says:

I love this recipe! I use it all the time! I sometimes substitute half of the oil for apple sauce and cut the vegan sugar down to 3/4-cup. I also use half unbleached flour and half whole wheat flour. I usually add either walnuts or chocolate chips and sprinkle vegan sugar on top. They are delicious!