2 cups agave nectar (or try Suzanne’s Just Like Honey)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. grated orange rind
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 pkg. phyllo dough
1 cup vegan margarine, melted
2 cups toasted, finely chopped pistachios
• In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the syrup, sugar, water, orange rind, and cinnamon to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Grease a shallow baking pan. Place a phyllo sheet in the pan, extending over the rims, and brush with some of the margarine. Repeat with 3 more layers.
• Spread 1/2 cup of the nuts evenly on top, sprinkle with some of the prepared syrup (reserve about 1/2 cup of the syrup for later use) and some of the margarine, and cover with 2 layers of phyllo dough, brushing each with margarine. Repeat this procedure 3 times, covering the last layer of nuts, syrup, and margarine with 4 layers of phyllo dough, brushing each with margarine (including the top layer).
• Press the dough firmly against the rim of the pan and trim with a sharp knife. Cut through the top layer diagonally in a criss-cross pattern to make 24 diamond shapes of equal size. Bake for 30 minutes, then increase the heat to 400°F and bake an additional 10 minutes, until golden brown.
• Pour the reserved syrup on top and let cool. Slice all the way through the previous cuts to make 24 diamond-shaped bars.
Makes 12 servings