Baby-Get-Back Veggie Ribs
2 8-oz. packages bean curd stick (available at most Asian markets; be sure to ask for bean curd stick, rather than bean curd sheets)
2 Tbsp. warm melted margarine
1/4 cup peanut butter (or more, to taste)
2 Tbsp. miso
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp. paprika
2 cups barbecue sauce
• Soak the bean curd in warm water for 4 to 6 hours.
• When the bean curd is softened, drain it, squeezing out the excess water, and cut into 4- to 6-inch lengths.
• In a large bowl, mix together the margarine, peanut butter, miso, nutritional yeast, and paprika to form a rich paste. If the mixture is too thick, add a teaspoon of water at a time to thin it to the desired consistency.
• Preheat the oven to 370 degrees F.
• Add the bean curd “ribs” to the paste and mix together, coating the “ribs” thoroughly.
• Place the “ribs” side by side on a large baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, turning them so that they bake evenly, until the bottoms are crisp and brown.
• Remove from the oven and using a barbecue brush, apply the barbecue sauce to the “ribs.” Return the “ribs” to the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more.
Makes 4 servings