Babka (Easter Bread)
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 cup soy milk, lukewarm
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
Egg Replacer equivalent of 3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp. margarine
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the soy milk. Combine with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup flour and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining sugar, remaining flour, egg replacer, vanilla, almond extract, grated lemon, and margarine. Mix gently.
- Add the raisins while continuing to mix. Grease a loaf pan and dust with flour.
- Place the dough in the pan, cover with a clean cloth and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and, when cool, remove from the pan.
- In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice to make icing.
- Drizzle over the babka and enjoy!
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Are you a compassionate Christian? Please visit JesusPeopleForAnimals.com.