Avocado Reuben

2 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
Mustard
Thousand Island dressing
1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and mashed
1/4 cup sauerkraut

• Spread one slice of bread with some mustard, the other slice with Thousand Island dressing.
• Place the bread slices, dry side down, in a lightly oiled skillet. Top one slice with avocado, and the other with sauerkraut.
• Over medium heat, grill the sandwich until lightly browned and hot, about 5 minutes. Put the sandwich halves together and enjoy!

Makes 1 sandwich

Commenting is closed.
      • Vanessa-C says:

@Mikayla: You’re correct in that vegans do not consume eggs, however there are many brands of bread that are vegan and do not contain eggs. Check out our list at peta.org/accidentallyvegan for a list of vegan breads!

• Mikayla says:

This sounds delicious but I am a little confused. I’m new to going vegan but i was under the impression that vegans do not consume eggs yet I keep seeing vegan recipes that use bread.

• Maelle says:

Is there a replacement for sauerkraut? I’m not a big fan.

• Marina Drake says:

This was delicious and quick—I left off the mustard, but that’s just me. For a more traditional-tasting vegan Reuben sandwich, you might like to try the one from the blog “Allison’s Gourmet.”

• glenn h says:

You can do this with lettuce instead of bread as well

• glenn h says:

You can do this with lettuce instead of bread as well

• Sharon says:

I make my own Thousand Island as well as tarter sauce using Veganeise(sp?)to replace the mayo. It’s easy and there’s no guilt.

• Laura says:

This sounds incredible! It really sounds like a great sandwich that will make my cravings for meat disappear!

• klm says:

please send me emails

• CarolKat says:

Think I’d be more inclined to use a portobello mushroom that avocado… or spice up some tofu.

• Dyan Merick says:

I have an e-cookbook out, Dyan Merick’s Avocado Cookbook for Vegetarians. I wish the Avocado Ruben was in it. Sounds totally delish!

• Dyan Merick says:

• Lisa Barrett says:

YUM!!! Love this sandwich! Delicious as is. Try with a little bit of daiya and/or Yves lunch “meat” for variation.

• The_Way says:

Wish the recipes had calorie info!

• frank says:

an easy way to make thousand islands dressing vegan, is by mixing vegan mayo with red relish.

• Francis says:

First my diclosures: I am a mean meat eating machine. I am trying to decrease red meat so I am getting bored of the Chicken-Fish-pork-beef-pasta with no meat routine. So I tried this kick ass ruben and it was mighty good, I ate around 12:45 and it is 18:14 and I have not touch anything else since and I don’t feel hungry. so this thing sustains a 6′ 193lbs…not too shabby. ok now let,s find someway to make soya free tofu so I can experiment some more…Soy is baad for manhood so I guess I will make chickpea or bean flour tofu with Whey powder (veagan is not for me soI am free to do whayI want right?) anyways…try iy, you will like it

• Sharon says:

We just had it for the first time. It is SUPER TASTY! We loved it and will definitely do it again since it easy to di as well. I had mine just like the recipe. My husband had his with a boca chick’n instead of avocado and added guacamolito (guacamole salsa).

• Nichole says:

Does any one know of a vegan 1000 island dressing sold in stores?

• denise therrien foss says:

sounds delicious

• Bogkingsdaughter says:

The best veggie Reuben I have ever had was quite complicated. I duplicated it at home a couple times, but never would bother for just my husband and myself. The bread had rye,wheat, oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds and some other tasty things. There was a cabbage-apple relish cooked with raisins and brown sugar. The “meat” was firm tofu seasoned with soy and other seasonings. I skipped the thousand island goo. I’ve had it both with and without swiss. I preferred it with the cheese but haven’t tried to make it with a vegan swiss yet.
        Looking forward to trying this simpler recipe (I plan to skip the 1000 island)

• Liz says:

One of the local restaurants here in SLC called Squatters has a tofu Reuben that is off the hook! I crave it all the time, and it’s super easy to make at home.

• Lauren says:

I don’t know if anyone has ever been to Chicago Diner, but how does this Reuben compare to theirs???

• Chris f says:

I’m addicted to this sandwich, it is so good! I half the recipe for the thousand island dressing, it can make 3-4 sandwiches. I’ve even used left over guacamole instead of plain avocado in a pinch.

• lanie says:

You can use a slice of grilled tomato instead of avocado as I frequently do in restaurants and they always accomodate. I know the dressing in restaurants is not vegan but it allows me to eat out with friends and order off the menu. I also make a ALT with avocado, lettuce, tomato, vegan mayo and it’s delicious. Also a reasonable substitute when eating out.

• bebegarcia says:

Sounds great… we’ve been vegan for a little over a month and it goes pretty well, but it’s nice to have some new inspiration. Btw… to the person who suggested the vegan mayo for the 1000 Island, it’s in the recipe provided…

• Beth says:

So yummy!!

• baywatcher says:

Careful with the Thousand island dressing as it has a mayo base and therefore possibly not vegan. Easy to make your own: add a small amount of ketchup and sweet relish to vegan mayo and stir. That’s all there is to it!

• Janet V says:

Funny thing, I was just craving both a Reuben and avocado. Problem solved!

• Donna Ramirez says:

LOVE THIS!!!

• sam says:

THANK YOU for these amazing, short recipes… i am a helpless, broke college student and PETA makes cruelty free eating so much easier for me! This sandwich was scrumptious =)

• shar gorgiiss says:

I used Organicville Thousand Island…delish.

• pb says:

This was fabulous! Simple to do–husband and I couldn’t believe how good–will make again & again. Thanks!

• Robert says:

this was delicious, thank you

• Katherine Trabanino says:

WOW! I loved this sandwhich. Simple, quick, and so good! I would have never thought to put these things together. I even made the thousand island dressing and that was so simple too! My meat-eating boyfriend and brother ate three each! def making this again, and agian.

• Tinabambina says:

Wow!! Delicious! So simple and so yummy. I’ll be making this again and again!

• Connie Fletcher says:

If you want a lower fat version that is delicious…try a garden fresh tomato slice (thick) in place of the avacado….yum-a-licious!

• Carrie says:

Niki, if you click on the Thousand Island link it will show you how to make your own vegan version

• Chris says:

Niki, click on the link for thousand island. It shows how to make a vegan version.

• erin says:

@Niki – you can veganize thousand island dressing by making it yourself with vegenaise, ketchup, and relish.

• Blue Wiem 80 says:

Actually if you click on the Thousand Island Recipe (it’s highlighted blue for a reason), you’ll see the recipe does not contain any dairy or egg products.

• Niki says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but does Thousand Island dressing not havae both egg and dairy products in it?

• awillis38 says:

Sounds great! Can’t wait to try it!

• Bailey Powell says:

These are so simple and AWESOME. I ate so many of them… :D

• lfmills says:

I can’t wait to try this! Sounds amazing!

• Seattlemama says:

Where’s the thousand island dressing recipe?! LOVE reubens and double love the lack of processed soy foods (they totally have their place, but who needs it in this ‘recipe?’)! Avocado reuben = Awesome!

• Seattlemama says:

• jd says:

Sounds delish.

• Wisegirl says:

This is a really yummy sandwich that’s simple to make. It’s become a family staple.