Apple Bavarian Torte
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine, chilled
3 apples, peeled, cored, cut in half, and thinly sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup white sugar, chilled
1/4 tsp. plus 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup flour, chilled
1 8-oz. package nondairy cream cheese (try Tofutti or Galaxy brand)
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Oil a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon margarine. Toss the apples with the brown sugar and cinnamon and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off and reserve the liquid.
- Cream together 1/2 cup margarine, 1/3 cup white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and the flour. Press the crust mixture into the bottom of the springform pan. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend together the nondairy cream cheese, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Pour this mixture over the crust and spread the apples on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Drizzle with a couple of spoonfuls of the reserved apple liquid, avoiding the edges of the pan, and continue baking for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle almonds over the top of the torte. Continue baking until lightly browned. Cool before removing from the pan.
Makes 6 to 8 servings